In the unfortunate case your child has sustained a serious injury at birth due to carelessness or negligence, you may be able to file a claim for medical malpractice. If you believe you have been a victim of medical malpractice resulting in injury, it is important for you to contact a birth injury attorney in Oklahoma right away. These types of cases are very serious and are oftentimes physically and emotionally challenging for everyone involved. There are many different types of birth injuries that may give you grounds to file a claim through your birth injury lawyer in Oklahoma. Some of the most common birth injuries that occur due to negligence of those working in the healthcare industry include the following:
- Brachial Plexus Injuries (BPI). This type of birth injury is characterized by damage to the bundle of nerves located in the upper spine, neck, shoulder, arm, and hand. Damage to these nerves can range in severity, anywhere from temporary and mild to permanent. In many cases, damage to these nerves causes Erb’s palsy or Klumpke’s palsy. Children who develop these disorders may experience partial or total paralysis in addition to a loss of feeling in the affected area.
- Cerebral Palsy. This is the name for a group of disorders which affects the overall functionality of the brain and nervous system. It is characterized by random muscle spasms, weak muscles, and an inability to develop motor skills. Other symptoms may include cognitive impairment, speech problems, seizures, and problems with hearing, seeing, and forming thoughts. Unfortunately, there is no cure for cerebral palsy.
- Anoxic Birth Injuries. These types of injuries are caused as a result of a lack of oxygen. In many cases, these injuries result in permanent brain damage and perinatal asphyxia. The severity of the impairment is dependent upon the length of oxygen deprivation.
- Facial Paralysis. With this type of injury, the child’s facial nerve is either temporarily or permanently damaged. Signs of this injury include a lack of control over facial muscles. In most cases, this type of injury will dissipate over time without the need of medical assistance.
- Torticollis. This injury is characterized by damage to the muscles in the neck. Common symptoms include asymmetrical facial features and a noticeable tilting of the head.
- Bone Fractures. Broken bones in newborns typically occur during a complicated or difficult delivery. The most common injury is a fractured clavicle (collar bone). Depending on the severity of the injury, the break may heal on its own or immobilization may be required.
At Atkins & Markoff, our knowledgeable attorneys will be able to review your case and determine whether or not you have a medical malpractice case on your hands. If your child is experiencing symptoms that are indicative of any type of birth injury, you should be sure to contact a birth injury law firm in Oklahoma immediately. Our experienced lawyers will be able to guide you through the process and, through the assistance of our network of medical experts, we will help you receive fair compensation and justice for the injuries your child sustained at birth.