Hotels, motels, and resorts are the places we escape to for relaxation and pampering. When staying at a hotel while on vacation or during a business trip, we never imagine that we will sustain an injury. However, hotel accidents – oftentimes resulting in injuries or fatalities – are incredibly common in Oklahoma hotels. Many people do not realize this, but the potential for injuries to occur at hotels is quite high. From slip and fall accidents to swimming pool accidents, and electrocution, many things can happen that result in an injury to hotel guests. With this in mind, it is important that you understand your rights and what steps to take immediately following a hotel accident. There are a handful of steps injured victims and their loved ones should take, in the event they are involved in an accident that occurred as the result of a hotel’s negligence.
Before we look at what you should do right after a hotel accident in Oklahoma, let’s look at some of the top hotel hazards:
- Elevators, escalators, and balconies
- Furnishings (namely poor maintenance of beds and chairs)
- Swimming pools
- Restaurants (namely food poisoning and the chance of slip and fall accidents)
- Parking lots and shuttle service
- Security breach
These are just a handful of the most common hazards we see in hotels that can result in injury or death. Let’s now go over the steps you should take immediately following a hotel accident or injury in Oklahoma:
- Call the Local Authorities – If you have slipped and fallen or find yourself the victim of a crime at a hotel, the very first thing you should do is call the police. If you have been seriously injured, dial 911 right away. If you are the victim of a crime at the hotel, it is important that you file a report so that there is record of your account of the event for any future needs.
- Contact the Hotel’s Management – Regardless of the type of crime or accident that occurred, it is imperative that you notify the hotel’s management team. Report the incident and what you believe caused it, whether that is employee negligence, failure to properly maintain the property, or an intentional criminal act.
- Document What Happened – Take pictures of the accident scene, including photographs of your injuries and any clothing that was bloodied or damaged. If it was a broken or damaged stair that caused you to fall, for example, make sure to take pictures of it for your records. This is an incredibly important step, especially should you choose to press charges against the hotel.
- Seek Medical Attention – Depending on how serious your injuries are, you should seek medical attention right away. It is important that you are checked out and assessed by a physician so that you understand the extent of your injuries and have a record of medical attention. Many people make the mistake of thinking they are OK and have not been injured in a slip and fall accident, for example. However, some injuries can show up later or are internal, so it is important you seek medical attention immediately.
To learn more about hotel accidents in Oklahoma, please contact Atkins & Markoff right away. Our knowledgeable personal injury attorneys will provide support and guidance so that you better understand your rights and what steps to take following this type of incident.